Friday, September 19, 2008

6 Food Mistakes Parents Make

I feel like all I've been posting lately are links to other websites...sorry, add this one to the list.

I just came across a very interesting article in the NY Times called "6 Food Mistakes Parents Make." I was surprised at a few and not so surprised at the rest. The first food mistake surprised me the most: Sending Children Out of the Kitchen. I do this all the time! I'm usually a bit stressed when I'm making dinner because bedtime is rapidly approaching, I'm trying to hurry, everyone is hungry and whiny, and the stove is HOT!! So my easiest fix is just to send everyone out of the kitchen so I can finish quickly and nobody gets stepped on or burned. This study suggests that involving your children in food preparation increases their interest and desire to eat the foods being prepared. Most of you know that David is not a big fan of eating in general(and hates chocolate - gasp!) so maybe if I start preparing dinner a little earlier(to lessen the stress factor) he and I will have time to cook together and he might be a little more interested in the food(if that's not a sentence worthy of making an English teacher faint - I don't know what is). Interesting...

Go check it out for yourself!

1 comments:

Brooke said...

That's great advice. My kids LOVE to "help" in the kitchen. It takes a little more time, patience, and work, but it really is worth it. I've found that if my kids actually participate in the meal then they are more likely to eat it, or at least TRY it, even if it's something they deem as "gross". Plus, it is teaching them good skills they will need in the future with their own families. And best of all, it's memorable time to spend TOGETHER.