Monday, September 21, 2009

EEEEEEEEE


We have a 1st word!! Last night at dinner Malachi said, "Eeeee(aka pleeeease)." And today at lunch he said it again! Granted, he said it after I gave him his food, but he said it!!! That is the one word we've worked on the very most - just because he screams every time he wants something. If I could just get him to say please, my life would be much less LOUD!



We went to the Dr. today for a follow up. She told me to pick a birthday somewhere between August and October, but not as late as November. I'd rather stick to the young side, so we're now deciding on October. Anyone have any special reason for a special day?



It's just so heartbreaking to think that when they thought he was 7 months(see pic below) he was actually closer to 15 or 17 months.



Since he's been home, he's gained 2 pounds, grown an inch, gotten a molar and an I tooth, gotten rid of the giardia(I think), started running and jumping, and is now sleeping in his own room. He's still biting and hitting at least once a day, but he is doing better with other limits like not throwing food, staying out of the kitchen when I'm cooking, and moving away from something when I say, "No." My absolute favorite thing is when he gives kisses. He holds your cheeks, pulls you in close and says, "Mmmmm." And now he's actually keeping his mouth closed for most of his kisses.


We had someone from the Arizona Early Intervention Program come to evaluate Malachi's development - and mainly his speech. She said developmentally he is right on track, but his speech is obviously behind. She is going to have the speech evaluator make an appointment, but she said she is sure he will qualify for therapy.


We also had his hearing checked relative to his ability to hear speech sounds. They were basically making sure he could hear well enough to learn to speak. He passed that, but she did say his right ear was too congested(or something) to hear well. Also, his language comprehension isn't strong enough to really isolate his ears, so they just tested his overall hearing and found that it shouldn't be interfering with his ability to speak.


Today his ped prescribed an antibiotic for many reasons - his ear, his nasty cough, his green snot, and now he has a little stye in his eye.


Other than all of that craziness, I really feel like Malachi is doing well. He's a toddler, so there are trying times because of that, but he is a generally happy kid, he eats and sleeps wonderfully and he loves his momma. That is more than we could have hoped for, so I think I'll be happy with that!

8 comments:

Kristin said...

this post makes me very happy. so glad things are going so amazingly well. you are such great people :) can't wait to find out what you pick for his birthday. maybe one of the prophets or apostles have an october birthday. i know, cheesy, but i couldnt think of anything else.

Chelsey Howard said...

Sounds like he's dong great:) That is so awesome that he said please. And only hitting and bitting once a day is actually really good. I think that's about right for my kids too:) I'm glad he's doing so well:)

gma said...

Now is "eeee" (please) in English or Fanish? :) You just never know in your house what language Malachi will start talking in! Seriously, it sounds as though he's doing WONDERFUL! Sure would love one of those kisses!

Amber Irene said...

October 25th is my birthday :D Do it!

Ruth said...

sounds like he is adjusting really really well. That's awesome!! Havana was born September 28th and James is October 8th and since we are just about the coolest people you know I think you should choose one of those dates HAHAHA

Megan said...

So how do you get him to stay out of the kitchen when you are making dinner? Carson just wants to be held the entire time I'm cooking. We have leftovers a lot. :)

Brooke said...

You should definitely choose October 24th, since that's MY birthday. (And I'll be THIRTY this year!)

Kara said...

Good to hear that everything is going so well with Malachi! Thats great you can get him to stay out of the kitchen while you are cooking... I'd love to hear your tricks... ALL of my kids think they get to help/watch... I guess I don't mind sometimes, but Mia is definitely the worst!!

So have you picked a date yet? So cute that he says please!