Thursday, August 7, 2008

Camping and a Birthday

Sorry for the absence lately...life's been busy. This post took me a while to make because of the upload times for all of the videos and pictures. There are still plenty more from our camping trip, but I had to cut it off at some point!!

For Emma's 6th birthday we went camping at Big Bear in California with my sister, Shannon and her husband, Jed.. We went last year and the girls just loved it. This year they loved it so much that they were both really sad as we drove away from the campsite. We were there for 5 days...with no showers! It was very fun, but I was very happy when it was time to come home.

David was sick for most of the trip so he took lots of naps and wanted to snuggle a lot. Most of the time he was just unhappy and didn't want to have anything to do with eating.

We left Emma's birthday presents at home, and many came in the mail from family and friends while we were gone, so on her birthday she only opened a present from Shannon and Jed(an ipod filled with Hannah Montana songs...which the battery was dead so she couldn't really enjoy it until we got home). She didn't seem at all bothered by it and was so excited to open everything on Monday night - 2 days after her actual birthday. Enjoy the pictures...there are many more to come(Emma started school!).


The girls went with Ian on a hike while I sat in the car with a sadly sleeping baby. It was the same hike we went on last year and the girls whined for most of the way last year. This year they did awesome! It's just over a mile and goes up and down the side of a mountain. Great job!!
Beauty shop with Aunt Shannie:
Mckenna SO wanted to go out in the water with Dad...till she realized how cold it is.



Ian took the girls up the ski lift(while I was again with a sleeping baby). They were terrified(overly dramatically terrified...) but loved it. Emma lost a flip flop half-way up...oh well!







David ate food, finally...birthday cake!

Sorry about the sideways camera thing...I don't know why I do that!


Camping is tough stuff!! Especially when you're still figuring out this walking thing...
A tiny frog!
We went on a short hike that ends at a beautiful meadow and what's called a Champion Lodgepole Pine. It used to be the largest in California, but since they discovered this one, they have discovered more. It's still pretty massive.
Could I just live here forever?

The picture above was from this camping trip with Emma and me. The one below is Emma and me a year ago. Look at how much the meadow has grown!

David loved this bridge:
This tree reminds me of the one in the Secret Garden that Colin's mother falls off...anyone remember that?
This tree is called a vanilla pine...because the bark smells exactly like vanilla! We thought it smelled like ice cream, yum!

David being silly on the ride home:

5 comments:

shannon j said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Emma's so grown up now!! Oh and I'm really glad you enjoyed the book so much. Your post made me want to reread it!

Dan~Kerst~Bree~Bryce~Braden~Briggs~Brooklyn said...

Looks like fun! I just did the same thing with my camera (turned it sideways). They need to make it so we can rotate videos too!

Unguren said...

Love all of the pictures they are so bright and happy. Happy Birthday Emma. I can't believe that she is getting so old. And in Kindergarden too.

You look great in the first picture by the way.

Chris Schweiter said...

Hi Somes Family, i've been waiting for pics, David is starting to look so different, one day i'll figure out how to put my picture by my name and i'll do it.

Love you

Auntie Kiss

Chelsey Howard said...

Looks like a super fun camping trip! I love the pictures (of course)! You are one of those natural people that go camping and still look like a super model, and for that I hate you (lol):) The pic. of you and David is really cute though and I wish I looked like that when I was campin!