Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Ramblings

So most of you already know, but (regarding my post below) the new Harry Potter movie that was scheduled to open in theaters in November has been bumped to July. Sad news for some, but since I haven't read any of the books(I know they're good, I just have no desire to get sucked into another amazing series. I think I'll start when ALL of my kids are in school. So not for a while as we're still not done adding them!) so I don't really care that HP got bumped back...because it means that Twilight got bumped forward a month! Yay!

I did finally read the 4th book, Breaking Dawn. I borrowed it from my sis-in-law last week and finished it on Saturday. I pretty much have the same things to say as everyone else. LOVED it, loved the ending, it was true to Stephenie Meyer's page-turning style. I loved that this one had more story and less mushy gushy romance and less of Bella's "I'm not good enough" attitude. I have found all four books to have some very predictable or obvious(to me, not to Bella) things going on, and this one was no different. I didn't really feel like the book was to bold as far as "marital relationships" as I've read from some other people, but because the series is geared towards younger readers I can see how many would feel it is inappropriate. I didn't feel uncomfortable, but I also didn't really see the need for all of that. I kind of skimmed over it because for the most part, it didn't really have much to do with the story. Overall, I loved it and can't wait for the Twilight movie!!

David and Mckenna had check ups last week. Mckenna is healthy as can be and surprisingly in the 80th percentile for height. She's always been about average, so I was shocked that she went up a bit. She's 41 inches and 41 pounds, exactly where Emma was at some point in her life(can't remember when, but she was 40lbs and 4o"...probably 4 years old like Kenna).

David on the other hand is not healthy as can be. At his previous appointments, he's been in the higher percentile range for everything. At this appointment, he was in the 90th % for his head, 80th % for his height, but only in the 10th % for his weight. My poor skinny little boy is getting taller, but not gaining any weight! He just doesn't really like to eat! I make sure I only give him bottles after a meal, so he's not full from that. And it's not so much that he's picky, because he'll eat all different kinds of food when he's in the mood to. Like the other night he downed a couple pieces of french bread with strawberry jam on them. So the next day I tried to give him the same and he wouldn't even take 1 bite. I'd been worried about this for quite a while, so I've been giving him a PediaSure drink once a day. His waist has begun to not look so sickly anymore, but he still is a tiny thing.

The doctor said to fill his diet with as much sugar and fat as we possibly can just to get that weight back on. She used the examples of extra butter on toast, sprinkling sugar on cereal, adding heavy cream when we can, and she also suggested we add Carnation Instant Breakfast to his milk and continue with the PediaSure. My poor baby! That totally goes against everything I've ever done in regards to feeding my children! It's been so hard to think like that!But the worst thing is...I thought that more sugar and fat would make him enjoy his food more and make him want to eat more...no way Jose. No such thing is happening. He's still the same non-eating child.

The day of his doctor's appointment was also the same day he woke up with a nasty runny nose and scratchy throat. Add that discomfort to the fact that he got shots and he was absolutely miserable the whole day. He didn't eat lunch, he didn't eat dinner, and he went to bed just after 6 that night. He's still plenty sick and I had one night where I was up with him for quite a while in the middle of the night. Ian stayed home from church with him today and he took two naps. For the second, I took him upstairs and rocked and sang to him and he fell asleep almost instantly. He's such a pitiful baby when he's sick. He seems a bit better this afternoon and I'm hoping that he's through the worst of the cold.

The weather has been slightly cooler lately. The kids actually ran around the backyard and played on the playground this evening. I'm excited that we're over halfway through the worst of the heat and can't wait for it to cool off again. The heat really hasn't been that unbearable. It reminds me of when we lived in UT and the winters weren't ridiculously snowy, but snowy and cold enough that you didn't want to stay outside for very long. And about mid January I was always sick of the snow and ready for Spring. Now I'm sick of the heat and ready for Fall.

In a completely unrelated note, I'm typing this as I'm watching Ian wax his chest for the second time...I'll give you all a moment to gasp... He started because with his marathon training(he's training to run in the St. George Marathon in October) his chest has been getting really irritated and he read somewhere that waxing his chest would help. So he did...all by himself. And now that it's grown back a bit, he's doing it again! I thought for sure that after the first time, he wouldn't bother to do it a second, but I'm watching him right now. After the first time, he'd pulled the paper off in the wrong direction and had majorly purple skin for a week! Let's hope this time he's better. And after I told him that I was blogging about his waxing, he wanted to make sure I said something more positive about him, so I'll tell you about his profound statement he had about 10 minutes ago. He said, "I work so I can live my dreams, I don't dream about work." There you go, Honey, I've returned your honor.

Hope you all have a great week!! I'll be adding some yummy new recipes to my recipe blog this week, so be sure to check them out!

6 comments:

shannon j said...

Can I be on David's diet too? Oh wait...I probably am..

I didn't know Ian was training for a marathon! Way to go Ian!!

Chelsey Howard said...

Poor David:( Sorry he's not feeling well! That's no fun at all! Don't worry too much about his weight, my neice and my cousin are the same way, they've seen nutrientist and everything and the kids are totally healthy. Plus, you and your hubby are tall and skinny, so its genetic. We should get a bunch of girls from the ward together and all go see twilight when it comes out:)

Unguren said...

I wouldn't stress about David too much. Kids are just different. Laney is in the under 2% for weight. She only weighs 20lbs. with her clothes on and is almost 2. The doctors like to freak out a bit and tell me all of the things I should be feeding her but I figure if I am feeding her healthy things then she will grow the way she was intended. I don't want to feed her a bunch of crap and then have her hate me later because she never learned to eat a normal meal. Sorry that was my rantings.

And Ian...sorry about the purple skin.

Ruth said...

tell ian that body glide works for bloddy nipples to if he gets those training--good luck with the marathon

Rebekah said...

David's diet does sound fantastic and so opposite what you'd expect a doctor to say. I hope he starts eating for you soon.

Loved hearing about Ian's chest waxing. I'll have to tell Ben.

Chris Schweiter said...

David will be fine, i wouldn't get him to use to the goodies because they are so hard to get off and your brain and stomach get used to them, he'll have that turning point where he loves to eat and he starts growing like a weed. Joshua was like that (bonestick thin) and now he's healthy as an ox and very handsome.
Very proud of Ian
Yes send over those recipes so i can use them one day in the very very far future