Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Idol

Best Moment from last night(it's still tonight!!): David A. "Sun Go Down"








Here's my mini-recap:



Round 1

David C. "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
I LOVED the beginning of this song. In the middle when it picked up I was really excited...and then a bit let down. I thought if the beginning was so great then the ending had to be stellar. Nope.



David A. "Sun Go Down"
This was another one of those times when I'm sitting on the edge of my seat by the end of the song because I'm so hoping the judges feel as excited about the performance as I did. Thankfully...they did. They said it was his best performance. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I did think it was awesome.

Round 2
David C. "Dream Big"
I actually liked this song. It didn't have the "wow" factor that most big finale songs do, but I thought it could make a great radio single.

David A. "In This Moment"
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz..... At least the beginning of the song. I just thought it was kind of a blah song. I thought David sang it super duper well, but only halfway through. Once the song picked up he started singing it like he meant it, and it ended up being really great.

Round 3
David C. "The World I Know"
I really liked this song. He was totally laying it all out there. His best performance of the night IMO. I did agree with Simon though in that I was surprised that he didn't sing Billy Jean or even Always Be My Baby. I've talked with two people recently(you know who you are) who have thought that David C. appears super cocky. I thought tonight presented a perfect example of why I think the exact opposite. When Simon called him out on his song choice and asked David if he understood what Simon was saying David said something about how he had thought of this competition as a progression and "why do something I've already done?" In this he could have seemed a bit cocky, but he then followed it up with, "No, but - for the record - I completely understand what you're saying." You could tell he didn't want to act like what he thought was more important than what Simon thought(as many other contestants have done...). I'll step off my soapbox now. :)

David A. "Imagine"
I think this was a great choice for Archuleta, but I don't think it was as good as it was the first time he sang it. He still beat David Cook.

Previous to tonight I said that I couldn't pick a winner because it was so close, and it would depend on tonight's performances. So after the performances: David Archuleta wins.

Can't wait for tomorrow! And "So You Think You Can Dance" starts on Thursday!

6 comments:

Amber and Co. said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto! And I've come around on my opinion on David Cook. I wouldn't be upset if he won, lol!

shannon j said...

Okay I totally agree with you. I just don't see DA. making it big as an American Idol (of course there are many in the past that have not either so I guess that's not a big deal). In the 2nd round when DC sang I thought to myself "that could be a hit on the radio right now"..with DA- definitely not a hit. And Imagine just didn't have the wow effect that it had the first time..it just sounded the same. I hope DC wins...but even if he doesn't ..I'm sure he'll go farther than DA.. (sorry all you DA fans)

shannon j said...

Oh and another thing. Randy really needs to get a new line... I'm sick of hearing "You could sing the phone book and sound good"

Megan said...

Oh my goodness Shan, I could not agree with you more!! I'm SO tired of hearing that. I sure hope by next season he's stripped that from his vocab because I can't stand it!

Ruth said...

I agree with Shannon. I think Cook can be more of a true american idol much like the original Kelly Clarkson. david a is just too sweet to come across as a pop icon. we'll see tonight but my vote was for David Cook. and just for the record i don't think anybody singing the phonebook would sound good

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling there's going to be a surprise and it will be David Cook! I really do!????