Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Something other than "other"

I follow anti-racist parent regularly and this week I thought they had some very interesting stuff, so I'm sharing it with you! :) First, there's a post from a woman whose mother is black and father is white, and were married in 1969 - 2 years after interracial marriage became legal. I thought it was a very well written and enlightening article. Kind of a feel-good article too. Click here to read it.

Next, ARP posted a video from another interracial couple about who they want their son to be. Ideally we'd be in a world that didn't need to use race as a label, it would just be a part of who we are - like my mom's freckles or my dad's smile. It's a part of our physicality and heritage, but it doesn't need to be a label. Anyway, I just found both of these interesting and thought I'd share them with you!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unguren said...

That little boy is cute.

Kristin said...

I always forget that my sister is married to a black man. It's just "normal" for our family. I have two beautiful nieces who I always forget are bi-racial because I don't look at them as being bi-racial.

shannon j said...

Thank you for posting these. I go to that blog every once in a while. I think it is very important to think about racial issues for children. I know I have thought about it a lot more now that I have an Ethiopian brother and sister (and nephew.