Sunday, September 14, 2008

Betrayal

Have you ever found out that something you've known to be true your whole life...isn't?? For example, my mom had heard the expression, "Might as well..." plenty of times growing up, but it wasn't until she reached adulthood that she realized that she'd been saying it wrong her whole life. She'd been saying, "Mine as well," and never really even understood what the saying meant.

I just finished reading the book "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg. My two favorite movies of all time are Steel Magnolias and Fried Green Tomatoes.* Both of those movies are about the strong bond of friendship shared between women. They have many life lessons and are always good at making me laugh and cry at the same time.

When we were growing up, we lived out in the boonies and didn't get any TV reception. My mom had a friend who would record TV shows every now and then for us and my sweet grandma recorded any kid movie that came on TV and we could "check out" movies when we went to visit. Somewhere in there we ended up with a VHS copy of Fried Green Tomatoes. Because we didn't have TV channels, we would watch our VHS tapes over and over and over... So I've seen FGT plenty of times and thought I knew the movie pretty well.

Well wasn't I surprised after reading the book that the two main characters in FGT aren't just good friends but good girlfriends... They're gay! Now - prejudices, religious beliefs, and sexual preferences aside(that's a topic for another day), I am most upset that the main reason I loved the story really isn't even valid any more!! I did a little research and found that I'm not the only one who thought the movie was about friendship - the script was written in such a way that the movie can be interpreted either way, and I obviously chose the friendship route. I know this really doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but you need to take into account how many times I've seen this movie(probably at least 50 times) and how much it helped me to understand and value the importance of friendship between women. And now I have come to find out that the story really wasn't about that at all!!

The book really was a good book and had soo much more to it than the movie(well...obviously...). I need to go back and watch it again. There were so many minor characters in the movie that had a little more story time in the book. There were also a lot of different incidences that they combined so they could fit it into the 2 hour movie. The book is a bit more harsh in some places than the movie and vice-versa.

Anyway, I just needed to vent a bit about the betrayal I'm feeling. So back to my original question:

Have you ever found out that something you've known to be true your whole life...isn't??

*Funny coincidence worth mentioning: When I looked up the movie FGT on Amazon.com it has a package deal with FGT and Steel Magnolias saying that the two are frequently bought together...interesting since they're my all time fav's!

1 comments:

Unguren said...

I like the new header.

I have always thought that it was about friendship too. I have never read the book so I am sure that is why. Also they probably sell those two together because they are good movies about good friends.