Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Ramblings...and a little announcement

Sorry for the lack of an update lately...saying we've been busy is an understatement. There really hasn't been anything significant that has kept us busy, other than life in general.


Mckenna started preschool at the beginning of this month. Her teacher is my nephew Porter's old teacher, Amber Olsen. When we moved to AZ she just happened to live 2 doors down from us! They have since moved to a bigger house, but are still in the neighborhood. When I drop off Ken, I pick up her teacher's 1 1/2 year old son and he and David play for a couple hours. Mckenna loves preschool and adores her teacher. I think the thing she loves the most is that she gets to do something fun without her sister dictating her every move. And she comes home with all sorts of stories about everything they did and all of the friends she played with that day. She's such a happy girl, I just love her. Here she is on her first day of school in Amber's driveway:


Warning: Picture with blood below.


2 weeks ago David was lying on our LoveSac upstairs and rolled off, landing on the treadmill. Ian was trying to rub the spot on his head that he thought David had hit until his fingers moved over a little bit and got wet. Sure enough, David had split his head open. I always knew my son would be the first one. After cleaning him up, we got a better look at the cut. It was about 3/4 of an inch long and a couple millimeters wide. It stopped bleeding, but didn't look so great. We called the doctor and waited around for them to call us back. Eventually we just gave up and Ian went to the store, got some liquid bandage, we glued it back together, stuck some butterfly bandages on it and called it good. The moment we finished all that - the doctor finally called back and suggested we take him in and have them staple it. Gee thanks for the speedy reply, Doc. Through all of it, David was a little trooper. He only cried right when it happened and he stayed still every time we needed to look at it, clean it, or when we were bandaging him up. It looks a lot better now. Worst case scenario he'll have a little bald spot on the back of his head. But that's ok, then he'll just look like his daddy(sorry, Laurie, I couldn't resist!). Here's a pic of his cut, before we glued it:

I made sure it was small so you couldn't see the nastiness.


Also, my sweet, perfect, calm little boy has decided it's time to change things up a bit. He's gotten much louder and he's been experimenting with hitting, scratching, and kicking. None of it is painful and most of it is done in a playful way...but each time he'll look up at me with a "Yeah? So? Whatcha gonna do about it?" look on his face...so we're trying to nip this in the bud(or is it butt? I can never remember).


Now on to Emma...She is doing great in school. I really feel like she's being challenged, but at the same time, I feel like she's learning at a very fast rate. She was a little behind most of the kids at the beginning of the year because this school has a different learning style, but she caught up right away and is doing really well. She's made some new friends(like her BFF) and has great new stories about her recess drama everyday. She has gotten her name on the board a few times, but only in true Emma fashion: when she hasn't had enough sleep the night before.


Another thing she did in true Emma fashion happened at church during Primary today...and in this case "true Emma fashion" means she revealed a little more than I would have liked her to.


Each week in Primary the presidency asks the kids to tell about something that makes them special. They call on a few and those kids get to go put a sticker on a poster board with a picture of Christ on it. The kids have their usuals: "I helped my mom do the dishes," and "I cleaned my room." Lately the teachers have been trying to get the kids to say something different than the usuals...which made it the perfect time for Emma to chime in. She doesn't always raise her hand to answer and I'm not sure what made today any different...but she did and she got called on. Here was her answer: "We're adopting from Ethiopia." Sister Perkin's said, "What?" Emma repeated herself. Sister Perkins looked at me...rather confused... To which I repeated Emma, "We're adopting from Ethiopia. Surprise!" I guess we couldn't keep it a secret forever. To read more about it, you can go to my adoption blog. Scroll allllll the way down to the bottom and read from the bottom up. I'm sure you have a million questions and most of them can be answered there. So, thanks for spilling the beans, Em. It had to happen sometime. :)


Also - about my Holiday Boutique. I have almost all of the vendors I need. I'm just looking for 1 more home/holiday decor vendor, 1 handmade jewelry vendor, and one vinyl lettering vendor. I have leads on all three but if you know anyone, pass my post along and I might use them instead! Thanks to all of you who did respond or pass this along to someone you knew. It is going to be so super great! I can't wait!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow! That isn't a little announcement... its a BIG one! What to say? I think it's wonderful. And I think you and Ian are wonderful. And I think your new little one is wonderful, whoever he or she is!

Just read this quote on another blog...so appropriate.

"Adoption feels like genetic connection because it links you directly not only to your own gene pool but to the genes of all humanity, all the way to the roots from which we all originated. Adoption carries the added dimension of connection not only to your own tribe but beyond, widening the scope of what constitutes love, ties, and family. It is a larger embrace." Isabella Rossellini

Hope everything continues to go well!

Unguren said...

I am so happy for you guys. You are going to make great parents to ANY child.

Chelsey Howard said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you are adopting! That is so exciting!!! Fun! Well now I feel like I'm not doing a good job visiting teaching cause I had no idea anything of that magnitude was going on!! I am super excited for you guys, congradulations:)

Tami said...

You guys rock, seriously! I think it's wonderful that you are embarking on this new journey and I know there may be hard times ahead but so worth it when you hold that precious baby in your arms. I can't wait to meet your new son/daughter and tell them how lucky they are with you for a mommy.

shannon j said...

Whoops... secrets out! I had a feeling Emma or Kenna would be the one to tell someone.

I'm so excited for you guys and I check your blog all the time for updates. And Carrie, I love that quote!

Cheryl said...

Hi Megan. I've read through your adoption blog. It's hard to absorb the last few months of your life so quickly, so I know I'll have nothing profound to say. Just simply, congratulations friends, we hope all goes well!

3 things--

First, I'd love to do the breast cancer 3-day with you a few years down the road when our babies are older!

Second, Jillian is my last, let me know what kind of baby gear I can pass on to you.

Third, my friend Heidi, the one that takes such great photos, is also an adoptive parent of a child of a different race. If you have questions or want to talk with her, let me know. (By the way, she can also teach you to braid cornrows should you need that expertise in the future.)

Again, hearty congratulations! Sorry about the split head. We've just been through the same thing with Ryan, luckily his hair grows long enough to cover the scar on his forehead!

Brooke said...

Shannon told me the other day when she came to dinner but I didn't see it on your blog yet so thought I shouldn't comment on it, but since it's now public knowledge (thanks to Emma) I can say Congratulations! That's so exciting. When do you expect your new little bundle of Ethiopian Joy?