Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Gah!

I couldn't think of anything to title this blog, so instead I just used the best word to describe how I'm feeling.



OK I'm about to admit something that I'm sure will shock you all, but ...whatever. Ian and I have been married 7 years at the end of this month, and I have still not legally taken his last name. When we were first married, things were just so crazy and busy that I never got around to it. We changed them on our bank accounts and stuff like that, but never through SS or the DMV. And then we just kept popping out these babies which made it harder and harder to get the motivation to go. I've always kept a copy of my marriage certificate in my wallet so whenever we fly, or buy a house, or any other time I've needed proof of his last name, I had it.

3 years ago I had to renew my license, so I thought I'd change it then(got a babysitter and everything). When I went there, they told me that I had to change it through Social Security first. So I just renewed it and moved on.

I finally decided that 7 years was long enough and on Monday I went with Mckenna and David(Emma was at camp) and changed it through SS. No problems at all. I was in and out in under an hour. They said I needed to wait 2 days before I changed it at the DMV.

So yesterday morning(Wednesday) I got a babysitter and drove to the DMV with all of my paperwork in a nice and tidy folder. When I got there, I filled out my paperwork and took a number. They called my number, I went to counter number 12, laid out all of my paperwork and told the woman what I was there for. She took one look at my marriage certificate and told me that I had the wrong kind and would need to get a certified copy before I could continue. Huh?! For the past 7 years I've used that exact license(not a copy) for everything under the sun - including Social Security. You'd think that since I have to have my SS card changed before I go to the DMV that the DMV would take one look at my SS card, one look at my marriage cert and say, "OK, you're good to go!" But, sadly, no. And to make matters worse, I asked for the manager - to be sure - which only escalated my emotions so that when she came over and told me the same thing, I started to get tears in my eyes. I tried to hide it by looking down, but then I think they noticed because the manager said that if I could get the city of San Diego to fax a copy, she'd accept that. So I packed up as fast as I could before the tears could fall, and tried to rush out...of a door that doesn't open. Then, after I did find a door that opened, I stepped off a curb that I didn't know was there...GAH! I was just trying to hurry out before anyone noticed what a wuss I was, but instead, made everyone realize what a klutz I am.

I got in the car and had my cry, then called the San Diego Recorder and found out that they only give you a certified copy if you snail-mail a form to them and they will snail-mail it back to you. In 2-3 weeks. I know that waiting 2-3 more weeks is nothing compared to the past 7 years, but I was just so frustrated that for the 2nd time I couldn't do it.

So I went to the mall for some retail therapy. Oh yeah...and if you couldn't tell I'm PMSing.

8 comments:

Dan~Kerst~Bree~Bryce~Braden~Briggs~Brooklyn said...

I would have cried too! I hate stuff like that. It drives me nuts!

shannon j said...

Oh how frustrating! I hate that feeling when you know you are about to burst but you just don't want to.

For about 6 months I had both last names. It was so confusing because I had two debit cards- one with each name and I had to always think about which name I was going to sign.

Megan said...

Ok - so not only your SS but your driver's license? 7 years is long enough sister! Do you fly as Megan Rudderow then? That's too funny.

That being said, I'm sorry you have a frustrating time. I'm glad you got a sitter BUT - I'm on the way! You could have dropped of the kids. We were home ALL day and I'm usually home most days now - it's easier than going out with all of them! And they would have loved the time to play. (And I know you would have said the same thing to me, since you pretty much called and TOLD me you were taking my kids today!) ;)

I get like that too. I got the wrong directions to Katie's ortho doc and was at Dobson and the 202 instead of Dobson and the 60 (both have hospitals!) - I was already late, cell phone was dead, and I was totally stressed. I had to stop and ask to use a phone to get directions. I know if they had said anything that even hinted about me being late I would have burst into tears!

Jessica said...

So frustrating. I hate when you have to fight the system. I had the same problem when I tried to change my name at the DMV in California. I got really flustered too. So no worries you are not the only one. You should have changed your name when you were in Utah because they accept a marriage certificate from the temple. I was frustrated because I didn't want to have to get a Utah license but I am glad I did because I never had to order a Marriage License. I am sorry hopefully you get it soon and it works out this time. Too funny that it has been 7 years.

Unknown said...

Oh man, I totally feel your pain. Some people say they are just doing their job but it is so hard when they are rude or don't take your feelings into consideration.

I went to the doctor after Gavin was born once for my 3 week check up (when I had mastitis and was very sleep deprived and emotional). For a number of reasons I was late for the appointment and the receptionist told me that I would have to reschedule. I almost burst into tears right then, my eyes started watering and I begged to see a nurse about my mastitis symptoms. She said she would see what she could do. I wanted to cry the whole time I waited. But they saw me anyways and I got the meds to get better!

Hang in there!

Chelsey Howard said...

That sucks, you have my deepest sympathy:( I would have been upset too, your not alone! The hardest part is that you went to do it twice and its not like its super close. I can't believe you've survived 7yrs. of marraige without having your last name legally changed, your a crazy lady!!! But I think you were smart to go to the mall for some theraputic shopping:)

Rebekah said...

The DMV is awful. The first time I tried to renew my license after getting married I too had the wrong marriage certificate and had to come back later.

Just before Spencer turned 3 I finally got a copy of his birth certificate.

Kelli said...

Gah! I hate the DMV and actually in AZ they call it the MVD, and if you hate the DMV, the MVD is worse, the wait may not be as long, but everything else is an even boigger pain! We have yet to register the truck because the bank still has the title and there is a huge problem with this because of what?! Way to go getting the manager, you are getting so bold, before you know it the tears won't come any more.