Monday, July 7, 2008

A Happy Post

Hooray for Monday!! Today was a great day. I took the kids to a movie in the morning. They were all great; David even fell asleep for the second half. When we got back in the car I had a message on my cell phone from Joanne at Benjamin Franklin Elementary, stating that there was a spot in their first grade for Emma and asking if I would please hurry and call back so they could get that spot filled. Oh happy day!!!



I don't think I posted about this, but Emma had some issues in her last class. I might sound like I'm bragging, but really, I'm being honest: Emma was pretty much the smartest kid in her class(according to her teacher), so she was getting bored with her work or finishing it early and then getting bored. Because of this, she was acting up and getting into trouble. I finally realized what was going on and took the wuss approach(remember how much I LOVE confrontation?) and had my sister talk to her teacher. Things did improve a bit, but I still felt like Emma needed to be more challenged. So I put her on the waiting list for a charter school here. I went to the orientation and left feeling like I really wanted Emma to go to that school, but that there wasn't a very likely chance she'd get in.



But she did!!! Hallelujah!! And I was sooo excited, so I turned around to tell Emma(we were still in the car), and she burst into tears! The sweet thing was so distraught because she was never going to see her school friends again. And honestly, I don't think she ever will, so I didn't have much to say to that. I told her all of the good things about her new school and how she'd make new friends there, but I wish I could have said something like, "Oh sure, you'll see them again..." -not true, she probably never will!



Emma has 2 kinds of crying: 1. The dramatic, over-exaggerated, slightly fake, "look at me" cry and 2. A real cry. Number 2 is extremely rare and only happens in cases of extreme pain and/or extreme sadness. This was a case for number 2. So we pulled into a gas station and she crawled into my lap and just cried and cried. I almost cried with her, I felt so bad. She is such a loving kid. She just loves to make friends and be a part of what everyone else is doing. She never turns friends away. She's always wanting to meet new people, have friends over, go to people's houses, call everyone. Anyway... I'm just so so happy for her that she can go to an awesome school that will challenge her, where she can really thrive, and most importantly: be happy!



She calmed down enough for us to go to Sonic for lunch, which cheered her up. We brought Daddy some lunch at work and headed home where David fell asleep eating a cookie:


we cleaned up, watched a movie, read a book, made dinner, baked a cake, ate dinner - where Mckenna made the best face ever because I told her she couldn't have any more watermelon(notice the dripping juice on her chin from her 3rd hunk of watermelon goodness):


had FHE on gratitude, and decorated our Volcano Cake a la Emma:




It was a good day.

9 comments:

Megan said...

I'm glad she got in the school - I hope you like it there! There's a couple families in our ward that go there. That's the thing I don't like about charter schools - for example, our ward is in two different districts and a lot of people go to 3 different charter schools in Mesa/Gilbert besides public schools, so the kids don't all go to school with their primary friends and neighbors. Porter won't go to school with his friend Chase - it kind of makes me sad....since they are such good buddies. And if you get one child in a school there's no guarantee the 2nd child will get in - or if they will have openings the next year, which is why he's not going to the Gilbert Elem school down the street. Cause it could change next year! I don't know abt Ben Franklin.

I'm glad you had a good day! What a fun cake! And your kids are ALWAYS good in the movies! But they all liked that one yesterday. We only took one potty break!

Unguren said...

That is a lot of good stuff that went on. What you should have done is streched it out a bit to make it last for a couple days.

Megan said...

Megan B. - I did ask about siblings and they said they get first priority and it's never been a problem. So I'm sure my other kids will get in. I've noticed the same thing about all of the kids in our ward going to different schools too...but mostly because only one person in my primary class went to Emma's previous school. They're all either over at Eduprize or Ben Franklin. So I actually think she now has a higher chance of being with church friends.

Hannah...I like the way you think...darnit, what was I thinking spending it all on one day?!

Dan~Kerst~Bree~Bryce~Braden~Briggs~Brooklyn said...

Glad she got the school you wanted. That will be a blessing to be more challenged (most bored kids get into trouble--it's in their nature). Bree is going to go to a Charter School Pre-school class this fall. We are looking forward to it. Yeah!

Kelli said...

OK I totally got teary about Emma being so sad about not being able to see her friends again. I'm totally PMSing (so emotional) But Emma is so sweet, and she really can be friends with anyone. I'm glad she got into the school, it will be so good for her(and you). You are a good mommy.

Chelsey Howard said...

You have such sweet, cute kids!!! Your such a fun mom, it sounds like you guys had a full day! I'm excited about her new school. I know how bad you wanted her to go there! YEAH!

Anonymous said...

love the pics! you guys are sooo fun! tell the kids hi... we love and miss you!

Brooke said...

Ahhh, don't you love those kinds of days? It makes the rest of the days worth living.

Rebekah said...

Hurray on the charter school! It sounds like a much better environment for Emma. I really hope the year goes better for her.

The cake looks really really good!