Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Ramblings

When I look back at our week, I feel like it was really busy, but actually it wasn't at all. I slept wrong on my neck 2 Fridays ago and it has hurt ever since. I've had two professional massages and it is only today feeling like it might actually go away. Monday and Wednesday were the worst and I spent the better part of those days on the couch.

I also spent a lot of time listening to fighting with the girls and trying to teach them how to compromise, speak kindly, and be friends. I found the best solution, though, was for each of them to have an hour of "rest" time each day. They were to stay in their rooms, but were welcome to play with any toys, read books, or lie on their beds if they wanted. It seemed that if they had a little bit of time by themselves, then they didn't get so sick of each other.

David has a cold and is breaking all 4 molars, so he's been pretty miserable. He stayed home(with Ian) from church today and took a 4 hour nap! Also this week, he's become a climber! I always knew one of my children would be one. I've heard so many stories of babies climbing out of their cribs, climbing up bookshelves, etc., and I've been so grateful that the girls were never really interested. I knew David would change everything... So far, it hasn't been too bad, nor has he been hard to discourage from climbing - it's just that I've become more aware of his desire and abilities. He's been climbing up on the dining room chairs and has attempted to sit on the table. Since being told, "No," a few times however, he has gotten better and doesn't try it as much. He can also climb up onto the bar stools, which scares me because he can then climb onto the counter...The best part about all of this is that he doesn't know how to get down. One day he climbed onto the dining chair(below) and just sat there saying, "Pee!"(please) until I realized he needed help getting down.

Thursday we got everyone(including myself!) showered and dressed and in the car to go to Mckenna's dance class, only to realize that my key wouldn't turn in the ignition! After about 10 minutes of sitting in the heat of the garage, we gave up and went inside. Poor Mckenna...all dressed up with no where to go(well, somewhere to go, but no way to get there): Ian ordered a new ignition key cylinder and hopefully will get it in by Monday, so we can go camping this weekend!

Friday night Ian and I had our wonderful neighbors come over to babysit while Ian and I went to dinner and a movie. We very rarely get to the theaters, but are both into the Batman movies and were so excited to see Dark Knight....which was sold out(except for the latest showing). So we just went to dinner and came home. The next day, Ian rented a movie and we both really wanted popcorn to go with it, but were out. We decided that instead of buying nasty microwave popcorn, we'd buy a popcorn maker and have real popcorn. SOOOO yummy!!! We both decided that it was way better than going to a theater anyway.
David loved it...
One day Emma walked up to me and said this:

And of course, Mckenna wanted to be a part of the action:

And on another day, David walked up to me saying, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" with some wonderful new eye wear...

Question of the day: Can you tell me what's missing from this picture?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Super cute post! That video of David is so funny because Sam does the Sam thing with her "tato" head glasses! And in that last picture it looks like someone is missing a diaper!!

Dawn said...

Emma is a natural in front of the camera!

Unguren said...

I love that they copy each other.

Good thinking on the alone time. At our house we do quiet time. Gavin normally plays quietly in his room while Laney takes a nap. Even though Gavin doesn't sleep I still think he needs his alone time.

Rebekah said...

Fun times. Your solution for the girls sounds great. Now we just need a bigger place so Spencer and Lauren can have their own rooms.

David is so cute. I can't believe how dark and curly his hair is. McKenna looks so sad in her dance outfit.

Megan said...

Wow Taya - you got it on the first shot! One day I came downstairs to find a diaper laying on the ground. I thought it was odd, but just picked it up and put it in the trash. A couple of hours later, Ian picked him up and realized he had no diaper!!! He had somehow maneuvered that diaper right off him! Tricky little guy! And somehow...hadn't even peed!

Chris Schweiter said...

My guess was the diaper also, great that he didn't pee. I can't believe i waited this long to go onto your blog, i've never been on one. Your blog is the best part of my day especially the videos

Chelsey Howard said...

That stinks that you guys were all ready to go to her recital and the key wouldn't work:( Bummer:( Yeah Trevor and I want to see the new Batman movie too, I heard it was so good! We need to get together soon and do something!

Brooke said...

Those are such funny McKenna-isms. Sorry you have a sword in your neck, but I'm glad you were able to get 2 professional massages out of it! Woo hoo!