Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ode to My Feet


Dear Feet,

This letter has many purposes. First and foremost, I wish to thank you for the 26 1/2 years you have held me upright, walked to me school, learned to ride a bike, kicked a soccer ball(even when the rest of my body was deathly afraid to), kicked me to swim meet victories, drove our first car, allowed me to walk in stilettos and adorn your cute little toes with flowers and polish.
Second, I'd like to apologize for the times I didn't treat you so well. I'm sorry for running you over with a motorcycle and letting it drag you across the pavement. I'm sorry for calling you Barney Rubble feet. I'm sorry for cramming you into those stilettos. I'm especially sorry for forcing you to hold my weight through my three pregnancies.
In the past year, we've been through a lot. I know it's been hard for you, but I really tried to make things easier for you both. When the pain began, I vehemently researched everything I could to make you better. I then did everything I could to make you better. I treated you the best I knew how. But I guess it just wasn't enough.
All along you'd been deceiving me. I thought you were in pain from my attempts at exercise and lack of proper stretching. I really tried to make things easier for you...only to find out you'd been lying to me. It is your own fault, you know. How could I have known that your bones weren't assembled correctly? That they are all supposed to flow in the same direction - but you have bones that face the other way - that you have neglected to correct. And because of your wayward bones, you and I have been in ridiculous pain for the past year.
But really, the worst part of all is that because of your deceitful nature, we cannot walk in the 3Day. That really hurts. If you had been honest with me from the beginning, we could have figured this out together. But, now we have to get orthopedics made for you and go to at least a month of physical therapy. I understand that expecting you to walk 60 miles over 3 days is a lot, but you could have done it! We could have made it. Now, we will have to wait.
Lets make a deal. You be open and honest with me - letting me know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong, and I promise I'll do everything the doctor says to make you better. And maybe, just maybe we can have some more fun adventures. I'll even let the massage therapist spend a little extra time on you this weekend. What do you say?

Signed: Your loving legs and up.

(P.S. It's no longer Plantar Fasciitis. It is now a planter muscle sprain. In both feet. Yay.)

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Okay, that is the cutest, most creative way to write a story! Good job Megan. You should be a journalist when you're finished being a mom. :) Sorry about your feet though. That is a real pain. Both my parents have similar problems and need to buy these expensive orthopedic shoes as well. I have a feeling I'm on my way there as well. We should get our feet together and have them talk some time, over a massage would be GREAT.
-Brooke

Rebekah said...

Hey, I've seen that feet picture before! ;)

So sad to hear the pain isn't gone and now it's not even what you originally thought. Hopefully the physical therapy can help. I still like Viron's advice of shoe shopping.

Clever story. :D

Carrie said...

Megan!!! I'm so sorry about your 3 day!

I have another friend who is blogging about her feet problems too. She had plantar whatever, but its getting worse or something. Anyway... sorry for your pain!

Shannon B said...

That stinks about the 3 day!!!! MAYBE next time, right?? Despite having hurt feet, they sure look cute! Did you just get a pedicure?? My feet hurt, but I know it's just from PREGNANCY and the 30 lbs I have gained! OUCH! But I have NO room to complain, sounds like you have been in soo much pain for a year!!! OWIE! I am so sorry to hear!!!

shannon j said...

Cute post.... but oh how disappointing about your walk! I hope the PT helps... is there an end in sight?

Ruth said...

sorry to hear about the foot problems. i would love to help you with the girls. hope it gets better

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious! I like David in the background in his highchair maybe thinking, what is my mommy doing? LOL! Your poor feet... but they look so pretty! =) I hope they do better for you! Great story!

Kelli said...

Poor baby. Your feet may not feel good, but they look great! Good luck with the physical therapy and stuff. I hope it works!