Friday, September 21, 2007

Alert

I HAVE PLANTAR FASCIITIS.











That is all.











OK that's not really all...I just wanted to be dramatic. The name sounds much more dramatic than what it really means. It's super common so most of you probably either know what it is, or have it yourself. Basically it means my heels hurt and I need new shoes. But they really hurt. Especially in the morning when I get out of bed. And more so now since I've been walking Emma to school and going on hour long walks after on M/W/F's.

I have flat feet so when I walk, the ligament that goes from my heel to my toes gets stretched too far and it is now tearing and becoming inflamed down by my heel. Once I get good shoes, it should get better, but I also need to add some foot excersizes and stretches to my daily routine. It won't be so bad, I need to stretch more anyway.

It's actually good and bad. Bad - because I've really been enjoying my walks and am worried that this might affect them. Also, I'm going to do the Breast Cancer 3-day where you walk 20 miles a day for 3 days (60 miles total) next year and I don't want my feet to be in bad shape for that. Good - because I was planning on buying a new pair of shoes for the walk, so this will just get my bum in gear and make me go out and buy some.

3 comments:

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

I think I might have this too. What are the signs besides it hurting when you first get out of bed?

Megan said...

Mainly just pain in your heel/foot after resting. I've heard of other people having knee problems from it and I'm sure it can affect other parts of your body too if you're walking different to compensate for the pain. It gets worse on the days after I walk a lot, but pain in the morning when you first get out of bed is one of the big telltale signs you've got it.

Unguren said...

You should watch the movie Inlaws, they talk about it in the movie...kinda random but true none the less. Miss you guys a whole lot!