Thursday, September 27, 2007

This is INSANE

My friend Heidi sent me this link to a website that teaches what they call Infant Swimming Resource. It is a method of swimming designed to prevent young children from drowning. They teach from 6 months to 6 years. Watch the video on the front page before you enter the site. It shows a baby who's (in my estimation) about 1 to 1 1/2 years, but they have more videos on their site with younger babies; one of them is 8 months old. Anyway...it made me almost sick to my stomach to watch the beginning. I literally tensed up. OK enough of my talking, the video shows you more than I can say.

http://www.childdrowningprevention.com/

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh. OMG OMG OMG.

Carrie said...

Crazy. I didn't not enjoy that at all. Freaky. The music didn't help.

Unknown said...

I have seen this before. I have a girlfriend from back home who use to teach these classes to babies and toddlers. I remember seeing a video where she tossed a baby in the pool and he turned around, swam to the surface and floated. I think it is amazing that a child can be taught this, look how happy the baby was after he was picked up! I bet they have saved a lot of lives!

Megan said...

They do that around here a lot since everyone has pools - it's also called Emergency Swim Lessons. Porter's preschool teacher put her 2 year old in it. It's a 2 week course and by the end, they can do it!

Megan said...

Okay - this IS in Arizona, near Phoenix....how funny. And the concept of it is a good one - since they can't really "swim" at this age, at least they can save themselves. Pools are so scary....I know, I know, we have one....that's why both my kids are in swim lessons. Although Katie couldn't do that much!