Friday, September 21, 2007

ANNOYANCE

I have this curse where I think of absolutely wonderful responses long after I should have actually said them. However it just might be a blessing in disguise because if I actually said some of the things I've thought of, I might end up worse off than if I never said anything in the first place. You following me? Example:

Today I went to pick Emma up from school. There's a system to how you are supposed to drive when you pick your kids up from "the loop." If you are to be turning left into the loop, most people get in the left turning lane about a block before you turn. Today I didn't do that because there were no other cars in the turning lane yet and I thought I'd get into it when I got closer in order to not cut off any other cars ahead of me that may be wanting to be there as well. I put a lot of thought into this... So when I did enter, there was a car behind me that had gone into the lane before me. Now this car was not right behind me, it was far enough away that I was in NO way cutting them off, probably 2-3 car lengths behind. Apparently they thought otherwise because when we were in the parking lot a bit later she said, "So do you teach your children to cut in line too?" I actually didn't hear her at first, so by the time I realized what she said she had already walked away. But even after I realized what she said, I still couldn't figure out what she was talking about. I was ahead of her anyway, regardless of when I entered the turning lane. So, had I actually realized what she'd said, figured out what she was talking about, and thought of something to say...man she would have gotten an earful, let me tell you!!

Good thing I'm cursed.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I'm like that too! I'm not good at thinking of "comebacks" on the spot.

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

I usually come up with a really good come back in the middle of the night. The kind you want to sit up and say "I've got it!"

Jed said...

The French have a phrase for this: l'esprit d'escalier.

It translates as "the spirit of the staircase" but what it actually means is "the things you think of to say after it’s already too late and you’re on your way out."

I'm constantly visited by said spirit.

Nate and Amy said...

That was pretty nervy of her! You are only supposed to do that when there are other cars that need to continue on down the road. Some people are so incredibly rude, especially during AM pickup/PM dropoff. It is notorious for rude, obnoxious, impatient drivers.
Amy
PS. Hopefully, she was just having a really bad day. In any case, she sounds like an unhappy person in general and who cares about her opinion!