Monday, August 27, 2007

Reunion

Ian's 10 year reunion was actually pretty fun. We left early Friday morning and had an awful day of travel. We got in late so just Ian went to the Friday night part, while the kids and I hung out with Grandma and Grandpa. Saturday morning was the family picnic at a park. That was nice, I liked meeting everyone and seeing their cute kids. After the picnic we had a little time to kill so we drove around Arlington....very different since Ian left. He kept pointing out different spots saying, "That used to be a corn field, that used to be a dirt lot, that used to be so-and-so's house..." Now there's a Target, Walmart, Costco, and huge outlet mall. It was hard for me to imagine that Arlington used to be anything like Valley Center. We then went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Grandma and Grandpa were fabulous enough to take all of the kids while we went to the dinner part of the reunion. Buy then it was pouring rain(and the weather report said "sprinkles" HA). Dinner was great. I was worried about being over dressed or under dressed...I think I fit right in. There were people in jeans and tshirts and people in super nice dresses. We were definately on the nicer end of things, but it was fine. We sat at the "jock" table (Ian with the jocks??). The best part of the night was when Ian got to open the time capsule. We were all curious and excited to see what was in it...and all that was there were a few AHS ID cards and I think a library card...lamesauce!! Actually one nice part was that the first thing Ian saw was Eric Baylor's(sp?) ID card. He said he had a hard time holding it together when he saw that. Eric was a very good friend of Ian's who died while Ian was on his mission. After a yummy dinner most people headed down to the bar. We went down to see who was down there and after realizing how wasted everyone was we decided it was time for us to get back. :) Anyway, it was fun, not nearly as bad as everyone had led me to believe, and I'm glad we went.

4 comments:

Shannon B said...

That is cool that you got to go to it! Aaron didn't really care to go to his but I think I would have liked to see some people he hung out with back in the day! Cute picture!!!

Megan said...

There is still A LOT of Arlington that is like Valley Center. But it's just further out. Like towards Darrington....out in the sticks. Most of the growth is off the freeways...but there's still a lot of country left. I would have loved that outlet mall that just went in when I was in high school. The closet malls used to be a long drive! (Everett or Mt. Vernon!)

gma said...

I'm glad you went to the reunion too! We loved seeing all of you for a short, but sweet visit. And you know....it only rains in Washington when you come to visit!:)

Nate and Amy said...

Ah, I miss the rain. We could have used a nice chilly blast with the 100+ weather today. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I like that the time capsule didn't really hold much, but at the same time held something of such value to Ian. I hope everyone is feeling better.
Amy