Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sad News (for some)

With the mortgage industry being what it is, Ian's company has been closing a ton of offices. We thought he would be safe but just last Monday he got a call from the regional manager asking him how interested he would be in moving to...Arizona. (Of course, the Bennetts were here that day and that is why I said said sad news for some...) We're pretty sure they wouldn't be offering this position to Ian if he still had a job here in California. He told his regional manager he was highly interested and since then we've just been sitting on pins and needles waiting for more news.

We really don't know much of anything except for the fact that the job would be in Arizona. We don't know what part, we don't know when, we don't know the salary, and I hate the unknown!!! We were hoping to get more news last Friday because this week all of the managers are in a conference and they probably won't be discussing or deciding Ian's job. But all they told him on Friday was what they thought the relocation package would be...but who knows.

He's done some sleuthing around and figured out who's position he thinks he'll be taking, but we don't know how many offices in Arizona they're closing, so that's still an unknown. But at this point I don't think they're going to change their minds about sending him there and I don't think we'll change our minds about moving there because if we don't, he most likely won't have a job here.

So here are the positives:
We'd get to be closer to family(the Bennetts and my aunt) and friends(Kelli and Amber). We'd most likely get a bigger home and a bigger yard. The winters aren't cold. Moving always causes you to clean out junk and get rid of all the things you don't need. And most importantly: Ian would still have a job.

And the negatives:
We LOVE this area!! We've never been in an area that we've loved more. We have the best friends, the best ward, everything is nearby(shopping and restaurants). We love our neighborhood: the pool and park are just down the street, it's gated, I can walk Emma to school, and many of our best friends are just down the street. I don't want to leave any of it!

We'd be leaving my sister, which is one of the main reasons we bought a house in California. Not only will she and I be sad, but the girls just love Shan and Jed.

There's no way we'll sell our house. We'd have to sell it for much less than we paid for it, and we're not going to do that. So we'll rent it out - ugh. But I love this house! We've only been here a year. We've been making it our own, little by little, and I love it more and more each time we do something new. We moved 8 times in the first five years of our marriage so we said when we moved into this house that we wouldn't be moving again for the next 5. Here we are 1 year later and talking about moving again.

We're both in new callings at church and we just got a new bishopric that Ian and I were both so excited about.

You know, there are too many negatives, I think I'll just stop now. I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that this is going to happen, so I've been focusing on the positives anyway...like a bigger house with rooms for each of my kids so Emma and Mckenna don't keep each other awake...and a yard the kids can really play in, instead of stepping one way and running into a fence and then stepping the other way and running into the other fence... or getting clobbered by our dogs since they don't have enough room to play. Although - I don't know that we'd be able to take them to AZ anyway because of the heat.

Anyway, I know that whatever happens it will be bittersweet and we'll just have to be happy. I think the hardest part for me is all of the people we will leave behind. But we'll be coming closer to many people too. Ah well...wish us luck and I'll be sure to post as soon as I know more. :)

9 comments:

Ruth said...

so we are excited for you--we love to move and AZ is one less day on the drive here to Texas to see some really cool people.

shannon j said...

Oh man, I bet you guys are going crazy waiting for more information! What ever happens, I hope it all turns out for the better!

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm so sad now. I cried two times today thinking of you guys moving! =( I hope you're doing okay hanging in there and waiting for word. Shawn is bummed too about Ian not being around. I don't dare tell Hailey yet. She still misses her friends from our move last year from Long Beach. And you, we love you in Primary and my "around the corner friend"... we won't be able to find another Old School House girl! Sorry, I think I'm making it worse now. I do love you- and I adore your sweet family. The job does take us places when we least expect it though~ I will keep you guys in our prayers. Talk to you tomorrow!

Megan said...

I am so happy that you are coming here (rather than like Ohio!), but I KNOW how you feel and I am sad for you too. I've been thinking about you guys a lot. It will be WONDERFUL (underlined 3 times) to have you guys close and it will help me with my lonliness and homesickness here, but I know exactly how you feel about leaving. I loved Maple Valley and Seattle, and the Northwest and my group of friends....and my family close and so much more. I would move back in a heartbeat. But it has been great to live close to family and lots of cousins here too. So I'm feeling bittersweet for you too! I'm just glad they chose Arizona. :)

Amber and Co. said...

I sent you an email because I had way too much to say!

Carrie said...

Megan... I feel your pain. Just a short 18 months ago I left Idaho and the best friends I've ever had. It was a hard thing, but, like you, I tried my best to just focus on the good things about the move and to remember that it was an adventure. Hope everything goes well and works out the way its suppose to!

Unguren said...

That is sad that you have to leave your house. You can add one plus...you may be closer to the Ungurens now!

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear that you might have to leave California. I understand how you feel once you get settled somewhere it is tough to think of the prospect of having to leave. You will have to keep us posted on what happens. It is the not knowing that is the worst. Once you know then you can start planning and it will all work out.

Sheila said...

Wow...I'm so impressed with your positive outlook Megan. WAY TO GO! I guess when it REALLY comes down to it, your sweet little family unit is what is most important. Thanks heavens the gospel is the same no matter where you go...you'll have a brand new R.S. to welcome your amazing fam with open arms and I'm sure many new friendships. I'll be thinking about you alot. It's all going to work out for you guys, there's always a bigger plan.