Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Holy Fire Batman


All of Southern California is on fire right now. It's insane. We're all perfectly fine and OK, and so is everyone I know. My aunt in Ramona has been evacuated, but according to the latest maps, her house hasn't burned. My sister's getting smoked out, but the fires aren't really close to her. There's one that's about 10-15 miles south and a bit west of us. There are 3 main fires in San Diego County. The largest (The Witch Creek Fire)has burned at least 145,000 acres and is still burning ferociously. That fire is actually creeping into Valley Center. It's 0% contained and the winds are picking up(as if they weren't bad enough yesterday) and are expected to change directions. Yesterday they were blowing from East to West, today they are expected to turn and go East. The wind is expected to continue until Thursday night.


I feel a bit helpless because Ian's in Bakersfield - about 3 hours North of us and there's a fire between us. But we're all safe and ok and so is our home. I've never been more grateful that my home is still standing than right now.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Scary. We have friends in Valencia with the same threats. Hopefully the winds will die down sooner than expected!

Carrie said...

I saw this on the news last night, and thought of you guys. I'm glad you're all okay, and hope you stay that way! I'm glad your home is still standing too!

shannon j said...

Very scary!! Gosh, I hope they get it contained soon.

Shannon B said...

I have been wondering about you guys because it is all over the news! I am glad there is not too much of a threat to you guys!!!! When will Ian get to come home? After the fires are out?

Megan said...

Keep us posted please! We are hoping that things aren't spreading as they say the fires are 0% contained on the news. Our friends in Valencia were evacuated, but are home now. Scary!!