Friday, February 8, 2008

Apocalypse and Worries

I appologize for the somewhat morbid post. After writing it I realize how depressing it is. Sorry, you don't have to continue.



Don't open the news this morning, all of the headlines are ridiculously depressing:

Woman shoots 2 students, self in classroom
Gunman kills 6 at City Council meeting
6 missing in Ga. explosion
Cher Agrees to 3-Year Deal in Vegas
For storm victims, a lost sense of home
Man planned Super Bowl gunfire, feds say
Funeral horses overturn hearse
Real estate shock: Owner hanged in closet
Teacher shot by husband at school

I think sometimes I am blissfully unaware of all the evil in this world. When I think about my 5 year old away from me at school all day it makes my chest hurt. Just thinking about all of the possible awful things that could happen...ugh.

I think I worry more than most. I used to LOVE airplane rides. I never understood how they could scare someone. I mean you have less chance of dieing in a plane crash than you do in a car crash. But now that I have children, the first few minutes of takeoff and the last few minutes of landing always make my adrenaline pump.

And when we went on our cruise 4 years ago, I kept picturing Emma falling over the edge. I do the same whenever we go to WA on the ferry boats. And when Ian goes on business trips I lie awake in bed trying to suppress the imaginations of scary men crawling through windows.

But even though I have all of these lame and unfounded worries, chances are that none of these things will ever happen. The really bad things that really could happen never enter my wild imagination. I suppose that's for the best.

When I open the MSN news I am reminded of all of the real evil and real ugliness that plagues the world today. And I think of all of the broken hearts from all of the major tradjedies each day. I am so blessed. Every night when I go to check on my sleeping children my heart reminds me of the Grinch's. I feel like it's too big to fit in my chest. My children are my life. Literally.

Last night I watched something about a sweet little 3 year old killed by child abuse and was once again reminded of my gratitude for such an amazing father for my children. He is such an actively involved dad. He loves his children and better than that, enjoys his children.

Sorry for my depressing ramblings. I think my point was just to remind myself how lucky I am for such an uneventful and joyous life. And to think about all of the people in the world who are hurting and need a prayer. Oh yeah and to tell you all not to open the news. :)

Edit: Just stumbled upon this quote at the end of my scripture reading:

"Even though the tasks of life become heavy, and although sorrow thrusts a drooping burden upon us, the light that emanates from our Savior beckons us on, undismayed." --Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin; Ensign, November 1994, Page 77

3 comments:

Megan said...

I hate the news. I never watch it. Yahoo news on the home page is usually more informative info rather than depressing stuff. I'm sure it's very depressing to get a good dose of it, even 1 days worth! We did hear abt the city council shooting last night as we were turning off the TV. The sad thing is that it's just gonna get worse. I don't want to send Porter on the bus next year with the big kids. To ALL DAY kindergarten.

I think you can worry yourself to death if you think about it too much!

Jed said...

I've gone through a spell of this myself, the Cher tour announcement almost pushed me over the edge. ;)

I'm convinced that one of the greatest trials of life is learning how to get out of bed and trying to create good in the world in spite of it all.

If we're indeed created in the image of God, we have an incomprehensible opportunity to create beautiful and good things. We're built to do much more than simply endure the bad!

Unguren said...

That would be the number one reason I don't watch the news. I can't handle it. When I hear of little kids dying because of abuse or students getting gunned down at a bus stop it is enough to make me sick.