Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Raisin in the Sun

Have any of you seen the movie/play "A Raisin in the Sun" or read the book? A new version of the movie was on TV last night. Ian and I watched it and I thought it was surprisingly good. Sean Combs (Puffy) and Phylicia Rashad (Mrs. Huxtable) star in it and both are extremely talented. There were a quite a few profound moments in the movie, but this is the one that stood out to me the most:

Child, when do you think is the time to love somebody the most?
When he's done good and made things easy for everybody?
That ain't the time at all.
It's when he's at his lowest...
...and he can't believe in himself because the world's whipped him so!
When you starts measuring somebody...
...measure him right, child.
Measure him right.
You make sure that you done taken into account...
...the hills and the valleys he's come through...
...to get to wherever he is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Wow...I saw part of it when they walked into the house and moved to the backyard and she opened the presents (hat! ha!!) then my tummy started hurting and I went to go do something else. I wish I saw the whole thing. Should I read the book??? =)

Rebekah said...

I saw part of it too. I saw a full version in high school. I think it was the one with Sydney Poitier. I really like that play and the part you quoted is my favorite too.

shannon j said...

I've never even heard of it! Is that bad?